The government of Ontario recommends using winter tires between October 1st and April 30th.
However, a more practical approach is to consider the temperature. When temperatures consistently dip below 7 degrees Celsius, it’s time to install your winter tires for optimal safety and performance!
Why Winter Tires Excel in Cold and Snowy Conditions:
Winter tires feature a unique rubber compound designed to remain flexible in sub-zero temperatures. This flexibility allows them to grip even the smallest road imperfections, providing enhanced traction on icy surfaces.
Are Winter Tires Worth the Investment?
Without a doubt, yes! Especially in regions with heavy snowfall, like Peterborough, Winter tires offer superior traction, braking, and handling, particularly on icy surfaces.
Looking for new Winter tires for your vehicle? We have the best price guaranteed! Check out our tire shop HERE!
In summary, winter tires offer the following advantages:
- Improved Traction: Winter tires are engineered with a specific tread pattern and rubber compound that provides superior traction on snow and ice. This enhanced grip helps your vehicle start, stop, and navigate more safely in snowy conditions.
- Enhanced Handling: Winter tires offer better handling and stability on slippery surfaces. They provide the driver with increased control and responsiveness, reducing the risk of skidding or losing control of the vehicle.
- Shorter Braking Distances: Winter tires significantly reduce braking distances on snowy or icy roads. This feature is critical for emergency braking situations and can help prevent accidents.
- Cold Weather Performance: Winter tires remain flexible and maintain their grip in sub-zero temperatures. Standard all-season tires can stiffen in freezing weather, reducing their effectiveness.
- Reduced Risk of Hydroplaning: Winter tires’ deep grooves and sipes help channel slush and water away from the tire’s contact patch, reducing the risk of hydroplaning, even in freezing rain.
- Improved Safety: The combination of better traction, shorter braking distances, and enhanced handling makes winter tires a vital safety feature during cold months. They help reduce the risk of accidents and collisions.
- Insurance Discounts: In some regions, insurance companies offer discounts to drivers who use winter tires. This not only enhances safety but can also lead to cost savings on insurance premiums.
Ready to put your Winter tires on? Visit SwitchTire today, and we’ll get you and your vehicle ready for the snow.